Monday, March 15, 2010

Woman of Steel

I keep asking myself if I have to write in this blog everyday. I suppose the more I write in it, the more of a chance at success it has. I was actually going to write yesterday but it was in the middle of the afternoon on my day off, and I thought, I’ll write in the evening. And I didn’t finish my evening until 11pm or so and there was no energy to blog at that point.

So today I found myself inspired by a comment a student made after a class tonight. I admit my ego was initially drawn to the comment, but it brought up some other interesting thoughts. After my class, a student asked if practicing yoga will make you strong. She told me she was amazed at how muscular I was and wondered if it was just from yoga. I was kinda surprised when she said this because recently I stepped on a scale (which I never do) and it seemed to be more than I remembered, and I thought I’d probably had way too much Naan in India. I told her that I have always been fairly strong physically, but yoga has brought me more strength physically than I had ever known before. I realized though that the physical strength I’ve drawn from yoga is nothing compared to the mental, emotional and spiritual strength I’ve taken from my practice. I truly believe that because of the strength my spirit has drawn my body has become strong. When your heart is open and your mind is calm, your body is free to express it’s strength and grace – because they go hand in hand. I’ve seen students in my classes who are physically strong, yet their solid but often inflexible bodies mask the pain of a broken spirit. It is my hope that they too will find the strength to give their emotions they light they are asking for, that ability to be recognized. Then their mind will find the calm it needs because it won’t need to create scenarios and situations to hide true feelings. Then their body too will show the radiance of a being firmly grounded in their own spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment