Monday, March 15, 2010

Oh well: My new coin phrase

I’ve really let this blog thing go. I am more lazy by nature, but I think it’s simply that I haven’t had much to say. And that’s okay. Today though, prompted me to write again. Though it really began yesterday.

I decided to have a day of “getting things done” yesterday which included scheduling my annual exam with my OBGYN and finding out if I have another eye exam covered under insurance or do I have to wait another year, scheduling an oil change for my car, and calling the IRS to figure out why they only credited me $95 on a recent payment of $200 I made and what’s up with all the interest and penalties they’ve charged me.

OBGYN visit scheduled for next January (yes, this woman books out that much in advance, good lord), no eye exam coverage till 2010 (every two year thing, luckily my eyes don’t change much), oil change for next Tuesday (though they wanted me to do some $300 general maintenance thing , the things you don’t really need but kinda need and the dealers will push for it) and then there was the IRS. It turns out the rest of my recent payment went to a $105 fee to set up an installment agreement in order to pay some taxes I owed in 2008. I didn’t owe a ton, but I couldn’t pay it at once. So I thought I was being a good citizen setting up this agreement to pay them monthly until I was done. This agreement has resulted in this $105 fee, plus interest, and a penalities for not paying it on time in the first place. I did not yell at the lady who works for the IRS on the phone. I could tell she was almost expecting me to yell at her – I could feel her hesitation as she gave me that information, waiting for me to say something nasty back, the icyness in her voice… but I didn’t. I thanked her for her time and hung up. Now I was angry, but I said to myself “Oh well” Nothing I can do about that, and she’s right, I didn’t pay the remaining balance in April. Then I proceeded to make myself a yummy lunch and carry on with my day.

Today I was scheduled to have a massage with Mary, my massage therapist and friend who is extraordinary. I was looking forward to it all week, last night as I finished a busy teaching day, and this morning when I woke up and felt a sore body from a big road trip not too long ago where we were in the car for 15 hours a day, not to mention from a week of getting back into my regular yoga practice, and regular schedule of teaching. I take yoga this morning and afterward get ready to head down to Foxborough. The drive to see Mary once a month takes me about 45 minutes, and with this construction on 95S, sometimes longer, but she is totally worth it. Today is gorgeous if you haven’t noticed already, and I cruise along to Foxborough, sun on my face, wind in my hair. I get there and she’s running late, and when she comes out she told me a fuse blew while she was in the middle of a massage with the previous client. I can see she’s a bit stressed about this. She asked me if I can wait while she calls the landlord. She comes back telling me the landlord wants her to shut down everything (all the electric) for a bit and then turn it back on. Mary is clearly out of her element with this one, as would I be! She asks me so politely and nicely if I could come back tomorrow after I teach, and I without hesitation say of course. She says it just wouldn’t be the kind of massage she’d want to give to me, because she’s a bit stressed about the situation, and I can’t help but love her sincerity and dedication to her work. I say again “Oh well” and get in my car and drive back home.

I’ve learned that the greatest happiness comes in being able to say “Oh well” when those things come up in life that truly suck, but you have no control over them. You say “Oh well” with a smile on your face and you go about your day, letting that moment slip away. Once whatever crappy thing that has happened to us is done, there’s nothing we can do to make the event not happen. The best we can do is make a choice to not let it affect our future moments. Just try it… the next time someone cuts you off “Oh well” the next time the cat or dog pukes on the floor “Oh well” you go to yoga and your favorite yoga teacher couldn’t make it last minute and there’s a sub you’ve never heard of before “Oh well” You just might feel lighter, and more joyful, and shine a more radiant light to those around you!

No comments:

Post a Comment