Monday, March 15, 2010

Accepting things as they come

It’s almost 3:30pm on my day off. I had expected myself to do absolutely nothing today, just watching movies, reading, napping. I have done none of the above. After a call to the accountant this morning, I decided it was time to get my shit in order, so to speak. Last year was my first year teaching yoga full time, and during that year I taught at I think 11 different places for varying amounts of time. Needless to say, I had a number of W2’s, 1099’s and mileage to track. I can only hope I’ll be more organized for 2009. Organization has not been my forte but when I buckle down, I get it done.

My reason for writing all of this is that while I could be pissed I am doing tax stuff on my day off, I could develop a mood of frustration and anger while I press through it, I chose not to. When you take things as they come, you accept that whatever you are doing right now, is where you need to be in that moment. And when you do that, life just flows much more smoothly. I finished my tax preparation with the exception of a few small things, and can now head off to that hot bath I’ve been thinking about for my sore back.

I find that since I’ve been back from India life has seemed just too damn fast here and that I’ve wanted more and more to just be enjoying a day with nowhere to be with Josh, watching the cats, listening to the sounds around me on a day I’m alone in the house, such as today. Just the sound of Nomar, my cat, snoring next to me. Or my fingers clicking away on the keyboard. Or the cars passing by on the street. And life here doesn’t afford me to do that all day. I have a schedule, I have obligations and responsibilities, I have needs that I have to meet. So, I’ve felt myself frustrated when I am pushed toward something I don’t want to do at that moment. Or when my beautiful moment I’m having starts to shift. The key here is the awareness that comes knowing that if I choose to resist I’ll be in a moment I have no control over living it unhappily. If I choose to breathe, create some space, and just let things come as they may, I find my day flows easier, lighter, more free. It’s something I’m working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment